How to Separate Two iPhones with the Same Apple ID? Do you share an Apple ID with someone and want to separate your iPhone from theirs to have your own personal space? Well, you’ve come to the right place! In this blog post, we will guide you through the steps to separate two iPhones with the same Apple ID.
It can be frustrating when you share an Apple ID as it can lead to confusion with messages, contacts, and other notifications being received by both iPhones. Additionally, it can lead to the problem of accidentally deleting contacts or messages that are important to the other person. For this reason, it’s essential to learn how to separate your iPhones and avoid these problems.
The Consequences of Sharing the Same Apple ID
Sharing an Apple ID with another person can have unintended consequences. When you share an Apple ID, you are essentially sharing all of your data, including photos, contacts, messages, app purchases, and more.
It can lead to confusion when receiving notifications or reminders from both iPhones simultaneously. Additionally, syncing both phones can lead to accidental deletion of essential data or corrupting the iCloud backup for both iPhones.
Creating a New Apple ID
The first step to separating two iPhones is to create a new Apple ID. Creating a new Apple ID is free and easy to do. Follow the steps below:
- Open the App Store or iTunes Store on your iPhone.
- Tap on Account, located at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Sign out.
- Tap Create New Apple ID.
- Enter your email address and create a password. Make sure the password is strong and includes upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Enter your personal information, including your name, date of birth, and security questions.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your email address by entering the verification code sent to your email.
Read also :
How To Screenshot On Iphone 8 Simple and Quick Process
Separate iCloud Accounts
The next step is to create a new iCloud account. This step is optional, but we recommend it to avoid confusion and data loss. Here’s how to do it:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- Select iCloud and tap on Sign Out to disable iCloud backup and other iCloud features for the shared account.
- Tap the option to Keep on My iPhone for contacts, calendars, and other data to avoid deleting them.
- Enter your new Apple ID and password when prompted to sign in to iCloud.
- Select Merge or Don’t Merge, depending on your preference.
- Select the features that you want to keep in iCloud, such as contacts, photos, calendars, reminders, and notes, and toggle the switch to On for each feature.
Set Up Family Sharing
Family Sharing is an excellent feature that allows family members to share app purchases, music, and other media without sharing their Apple ID. Additionally, it doesn’t require you to share credit card or payment information, as each user can make purchases using their own account. Here’s how to set it up:
- Go to Settings and tap on your name.
- Select Set Up Family Sharing, and follow the instructions to invite family members and set up payment information.
- Select the shared apps, music, and other media that you want to share with your family members
Managing App Purchases
If you previously shared an Apple ID with someone, you may have purchased apps and other media that you want to keep. Here’s how to separate your app purchases:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Tap on Updates, and then tap on Purchased.
- Tap on My Purchases and search for the apps that you purchased with the shared account.
- Tap on the download icon to download the app using your new Apple ID.
- Repeat for all the apps that you want to keep.
Managing Contacts and Messages
If you previously shared contacts and messages with someone who used the same Apple ID, here’s how to separate them:
- Go to Settings and tap on your name.
- Select iCloud, and then toggle off Contacts, Keychain, Mail, and Messages.
- Enter the new Apple ID and password when prompted to sign in to iCloud.
- Select Merge for contacts and other data to keep them on your iPhone.
- Repeat for all iPhones that need to be separated.
Read also :
How to Fix Can’t Swipe Down On Apple Watch
Resetting Your iPhone to Factory Settings
If you want to start fresh and erase all the data on your iPhone before separating it from a shared Apple ID, here’s how to reset it:
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Scroll down and tap on Reset.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your passcode and confirm the reset.
- Set up your iPhone as a new device using your new Apple ID.
In conclusion, sharing an Apple ID can lead to confusion with notifications, data loss, and more. It’s essential to separate two iPhones and create personal space by following the steps outlined in this blog post. Remember to create a new Apple ID, separate iCloud accounts, set up Family Sharing, manage app purchases, and messages, and reset your iPhone to factory settings if needed.
By following these steps, you’ll have your own personal space on your iPhone and avoid any future confusion.